The Arable Event
This event is organised by Wynnstay and GrainLink to provide valuable information to our Arable farmers for the upcoming harvest and drilling season. We welcome all farmers to this event and it is one not to miss:
- Our extensive varietal plots presented by Syngenta and Wynnstay this year include winter cereals, oilseed rape and cover crops.
- Regular trial plot tours
- Ask the expert. Do you have any questions you would like to ask? Book your time slot on the day for an appointment with one of the specialists.
- Speakers Tent 11:30, Listen to Peter Wilding and Graham Redman
- BASIS & NRoSO points available
- BASIS knowledge trail
- Trade stands from a range of agricultural businesses
- Working farm machinery demonstration area – Precision drilling
- Local Farmers market
- Free refreshments and entry pack
- Moisture Meter Clinic provided by Sinar Technology
The last Arable Event took place on Woodlands Farm, Weston Under Lizard on 20th June 2018. With the Arable Event now into its 6th year and with an attendance of over 1200 visitors and exhibitors on the day, the event has proved a popular day out for farmers.
Woodlands Farm is part of Harnage estates farming company operated by brothers Simon and Justin Scott. Initially farmers from Cheshire, the Scott family moved to Harnage Grange in 1961 following the sale of the family owned bakery business to Associated British Foods (ABF). The Land at Weston Under Lizard has been contract farmed for Lord Bradford and Viscount Newport via the land agents Bidwells since 1987. Predominantly arable and managed day to day by James Dyball at Harnage and Doug Mccowan at Woodlands Farm.
The land where The Arable Event is held is mainly light sandy soils with a little body. The soils at Harnage are a mixture of Grade 2 and 3 medium/heavy loams. Cereals at The Arable Event are grown for Wynnstay under the watchful eye of Doug and Syngenta and prove interesting trial plots for farmers throughout the midlands.
The next Arable Event day is set, 19th June 2019 at the same site, Weston Under Lizard and will demonstrate seed trial plots including winter cereals, oilseed rape, hybrid rye, winter oats and winter barley. Trade stands, moisture meter clinic and working farm machinery are also highlights for the day.
We hope you put this date in your diary and follow our Facebook and Twitter feeds for updates. If you are interested in booking a trade stand for 2019, please contact Kelly Dolphin, event manager by email: Kelly.firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 01939 211256.